BONNIE SCOVELL - Partner
Bachelor of Laws, Griffith University
Bachelor of International Relations, Griffith University
Bonnie spent her early years as a prosecutor at the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, before moving into dispute resolution at a large national firm where she acted in a variety of complex litigation and insolvency matters, later returning to criminal practice as a defence lawyer and then as a principal of Oceanic Legal.
Bonnie has experience in a broad range of commercial and criminal areas of practice, including corporate and personal insolvency, litigation and dispute resolution, property law, debt recovery, business disputes, residential and commercial tenancies, guardianship and administration applications and Freedom of Information appeals in SAT; and as a prosecutor and defence lawyer in relation to both Commonwealth and State crime, including regulatory (white collar) prosecutions, mental health related offending, criminal injuries compensation and restraining orders.
Examples of major civil matters in which Bonnie has been involved include acting for:
- class investors and other interested parties in various interstate actions relating to Managed Investment Schemes;
- a major lender in a defended mortgage recovery action involving low-doc loan brokering;
- an oil exploration company in defence of ASIC action for alleged breaches of the ASX listing rules;
- a public mining company in injunctive proceedings seeking production of intellectual property and other assets; and
- one half of an acrimonious family business breakdown requiring the dissolution of complex corporate and trust arrangements holding net assets in excess of $30M where arrangements were largely undocumented.
Bonnie has also been involved in major federal prosecutions including subject-matter such as mass immigration detention rioting, drug and other importation offences and complex social security fraud, and is experienced defending clients in a wide range of state offences including arson, serious assaults, traffic, drugs, weapons, restraining order breaches, mental health offending and mental health defence appeals.
Bonnie has appeared in a variety of federal and Western Australian courts and tribunals, including the Magistrates Court, District Court, Supreme Court (including in the appellate jurisdiction), Federal Court, Federal Circuit Court, State Administrative Tribunal and Mental Health Review Board.