SONIA EDWARDS - Partner
Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia
Bachelor of Business (Double Major in Industrial Advocacy and Human Resources Management), Curtin University
Sonia has extensive experience in practicing in the areas of commercial, property, construction, employment, litigation and insolvency law at reputable Western Australian legal firms, including as the Principal of Sonia Edwards Legal. Sonia’s major clients to date have included Freo Group Ltd, Valmec Ltd and WorleyParsons. However, she has also represented individual clients with respect to minor claims.
Sonia was admitted as a solicitor and barrister of:
- the Supreme Court of Western Australia in 1998;
- the High Court of Australia in 1999; and
- the Supreme Court of Queensland in 2003.
In her litigation practice, Sonia has focused on construction litigation, property law disputes, disputes concerning partnerships and joint ventures and general commercial disputes. Sonia is also skilled at achieving favourable results for clients through alternative dispute resolution processes such as mediations and arbitrations.
Sonia was formerly a partner at a boutique Western Australian law firm before establishing Sonia Edwards Legal in 2011.
Other matters in which Sonia had principal carriage include:
- proceedings on behalf of a number of private and publicly listed national companies relating to franchise disputes in the Federal Court of Australia and Supreme Court of Western Australia;
- proceedings and arbitrations on behalf of numerous building companies relating to construction and contractual disputes in the Federal Court of Australia, Supreme Court of Western Australia and District Court of Western Australia;
- proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and arbitrations concerning the quality of materials and workmanship in national and international construction projects;
- proceedings related to disputes with respect to property transactions in all levels of courts in Western Australia;
- Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings concerning the construction of a 300-man mining camp in Western Australia.
Sonia is also an experienced advocate who has appeared before all superior courts in Western Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and various tribunals.